It’s that time of year again…football season is upon us, so get out those party platters and begin planning to root on your favorite team with a fun community gathering or tailgate party. No matter if you’re a fan of college football, NFL, or your community high school team, football parties and tailgates are always fun, and people across the nation look forward to this time of year for that very reason. Football parties and tailgates are also notorious for not-so-healthy menus, like sausages, greasy wings, heavy dips and meatballs drenched in sugary sauce, but that doesn’t have to be the case. You can throw together a delicious football or tailgate party with healthy food and fresh ingredients in a flash with these easy entertaining ideas.
- If you’re entertaining at home, throw together some quick chicken kabobs like these we recently featured in our recipe blog, or, just throw whatever veggies you have in the fridge onto skewers with cubed chicken marinated or seasoned with your favorite flavorings. Our favorite fresh ingredients for kabobs include bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, mushrooms and zucchini, but throw on whatever suits your party guests.
- Skewered foods are great for tailgate parties and caprese skewers are always a favorite. For this “salad on a stick” use cherry tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and mozzarella balls on toothpicks. Flavor tip: Use the pre-marinated mozzarella balls found in local stores like Costco for instant flavor, or drizzle with balsamic glaze and extra virgin olive oil.
- Deviled Eggs are always a popular finger food, and for a healthy spin, replace the mayo with low-fat Greek yogurt or how about fresh avocado for a green alternative like we found in these guacamole deviled eggs.
- Crispy kale chips are enormously popular these days. Making your own is super simple…all you need is a head of kale, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and your oven. These chips will remain crispy for the duration of your football festivities and can be served as a healthier salty snack that even the kids will enjoy.
- For “wrapping up” your football or tailgate party, how about a wrap with healthy, fresh ingredients? Spread a bit of mashed avocado on a whole grain tortilla and layer turkey or chicken with fresh greens, tomato slices and a bit of salt and pepper. Cut into sections and place a toothpick in each and, viola…it’s a wrap!
If you’re looking to throw together a football party or tailgate in a hurry, check out our catering menu for fresh foods like our Fresh Fruit Selection, featuring fresh seasonal fruits, or our Veggie Fresco Selection with fresh seasonal vegetables served up with your choice of our delicious dipping sauces. We also have a fantastic variety of sandwich platters with fresh ingredients. With our catering delivery option, you’ll find yourself enjoying your tailgate without all the preparation! Check out our healthy, fresh offerings and have your football party delivered right to your door.
See…it’s easy to put a healthy spin on your tailgate party. Why not try some of these healthy tailgating idea and hopefully you’ll find your football fanatic friends enjoying healthy foods and community comradery as you cheer on the home team!